January 5, 2010

How I Met Your Mother: Season 3


My girlfriend and I continue to plow through this sitcom and have just finished the third season. What more can I say about the show? It hasn't really changed, for better or for worse, over the course of three years. Indeed, it has settled into a "groove" so to speak, very slowly advancing a very simplistic plot with plenty of laughs along the way. The show remains innovative and clever, but still remains a traditional two-camera laugh track sitcom and thus has its fair share of predictable cliches. Actually, truth be told, this was the least enjoyable season so far for me to watch. Season 1 was new and exciting and Season 2 built on each character and plotline the way a second season needs to do. But Season 3 just wasn't all that memorable to me, for various reasons. There were still a number of decent episodes, but it didn't feel like a step forward from Season 2 in any way, if you know what I mean. Although, this was also the season interrupted by the writers' strike, so maybe a bit of a drop in quality was to be expected. In the end, I'll call it neither better nor worse than the previous two seasons and chalk up my lack of enthusiasm for it to waning interest. Oh, and one other thing that deserves mentioning... Mandy Moore, Enrique Iglesias, and Britney Spears all had small roles in this season. It was really weird, like as if the writers were specifically trying to make this the season of the pop star cameo. Maybe they were. Regardless, all three were suitable actors, and Britney actually might have taken the cake as the best one, though much of that was due to the quirky, one-dimensional role she played. Will she return in Season 4? I'll be sure to find out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment