January 2, 2010

Christmas Recap and New Year's Resolutions

Another Christmas has gone by and another year has come. With Christmas came a massive backlog increase, but with 2010 comes a chance to improve my logging habits. Allow me to quickly review where I stand, and based on that, ponder where I should go next.

For better or for worse, I currently have 31 books, 34 DVDs, and 69 video games to go. Twenty of the DVDs are long-winded TV seasons. I'm currently working on a pair of those seasons. I'm also in the middle of one book and just about to finish another. Gaming-wise, I'm in a dozen places at once right now; I have played five different unfinished games in the past 72 hours and am in the middle of at least ten more.

The past five months have shown me that although I love video games, they are much harder to remove from the backlog than books and DVDs. Much of this is of course due to their length and the extent to which one must become involved with the process of beating a game (compared to watching a movie or reading a book), but I also think a large part of the issue is my failure to commit to games and beat them in a timely manner. Instead of being succinct and methodical, I am far too whimsical about which games I'm playing at any given time. I've left far too many loose ends along the way to completing the scant few games that I have. I need to do a better job committing to games and finishing them off for good. Let that be New Year's resolution number one.

Resolution two needs to place some kind of limitation on the purchasing of new material. I love books, games, and movies; if I didn't, why would I have a blog devoted to completing my massive collections of them? The problem is, as an aficionado and a collector, I'm always seeking new books, games, and movies; it's inevitable that I will buy new things. Rather than try to cut off the influx entirely, perhaps it makes sense to strike up some kind of deal with myself. For every two successful loggings, I'll allow myself one new item. Of course, the item must be of the same medium as the two completions; trading two DVDs for a lengthy video game hardly seems worth it. Now, I will take at least two steps forward for every step back, as long as I can abide by this rule.

Lastly, I'll put a simple rule in place; every month must see overall backlog progress. Since I am starting January with 31 books, 34 DVDs, and 69 video games, I must begin February with absolute maxima of 30, 33, and 68, respectively. This is the only way to ensure that goals will eventually be reached.

With these three simple resolutions in place, I aim to make 2010 a more successful logging year than 2009 turned out to be. I'm no longer a rookie at this ordeal, and it's really time for me to step things up a notch or two.

Finally, speaking of rookies, Back-Blogged has recently doubled in size as we've taken on two new members who share a passion for finishing the things they already own. I'll allow them to introduce themselves when and how they see fit. But for now, suffice it to say, we're looking forward to their contributions to the blog. Each of us has an individual and unique quest to fulfill, but the logging experience as a whole is one best shared with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment