January 19, 2010

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Well that was quick. The Call of Duty series revolutionized itself and set a new bar for first person shooters with 2007's Modern Warfare, and just two years later Infinity Ward has upped the ante with the fantastic Modern Warfare 2. The campaign is sometimes criticized for being exceptionally short, but this is really the beauty of the game. By keeping things short, the game never gets boring for a second. The action is explosive- from the basic shooting segments made fresh by placing them on U.S. soil, to all of the new gimmicks that serve to intensify the experience- a speeding snowmobile segment, a hostage situation on an oil rig, and a chaotic boat race to finish the whole thing off, to name a few. I have to agree with Stan that the ending did leave me confused- as far as I can tell, the main enemy for most of the game was never killed, and was kind of forgotten by the characters. I'm willing to forgive that though, because that's really the only knock I have on the campaign. One could also argue that 60 dollars is way too much to spend for such a short campaign, but the reason most people bought Modern Warfare 2 was for online play, and hopefully with my backlog a little more cleared up, I'll be able to join them for some multiplayer. Until then though, I've got plenty more shooters to finish, and hopefully that means I'll get a little more skill and won't have to play these campaigns on easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment