January 6, 2010

Crank


Before tucking in for the night (yeah, my sleeping schedule is pretty messed up at this point), I decided that I was in the mood to watch a quick, cheap, fun movie, and naturally, I opted for Crank. If you aren't familiar with this movie, the premise is that a man has been fatally poisoned and the only substance that can slow the effects is adrenaline. Think Speed but with a minimum heartrate instead of a minimum velocity and a human body instead of a bus. Right off the bat, Jason Statham is exactly the over-the-top action star I wanted him to be in this flick. And as far as over-the-top action flicks go, this may be the defining one of the last decade. It's loaded with violence, sex and nudity, and profanity. Above all else, it's action galore; over-the-top scene flows into over-the-top scene and the movie's already brief 87-minute run time feels about as quick as feature films can. I'd describe specific moments of over-the-top-ness, but in a movie with no real plot, those are the only things there are to spoil. Just trust me on this one; if you're ever in the mood for a quick, fun, and totally absurd action flick, this is something you should see. I can't even imagine how many strings were pulled for the sequel. Luckily, I won't have to try to do so, since I'm sure to log that one in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment