February 3, 2012

Psychonauts


I had only ever heard about Psychonauts twice before I played through it myself. The first time was when I found it somewhere on at least one "best video games of the decade" list a couple of years ago. The second time was when Sweeney posted about it a year and a half ago. Sween's big point, and one that I'd have to agree with, is that regardless of execution or success, Psychonauts was a game that tried so many different things. There were probably about ten or eleven levels, so to speak, and each one was wildly different than the others, for the most part. There was a groovy dance party featuring a race. There was a level where I had to assist some kids putting on a play by switching the scenery and the lighting around. There was a level where I was a giant Godzilla-like monster wreaking havoc on a city. There was an obstacle course put on by a boot camp instructor. The game also had a quirky but undeniable sense of humor and a unique art style to boot. Without question, Psychonauts was one of the most relentlessly experimental games I've ever played. Unfortunately, that may have been the biggest reason I didn't absolutely love it. A few too many of the various aspects of the game never really converged into a satisfying cohesion for me, and while almost every individual part of the game was well-made, the parts never added up to become more than their own sum. In a strange way then, despite packing so much into one game, Psychonauts feels incomplete. The ending seems to beg for a sequel, as the game winds back up post-climax on one of those "uh-oh, my help is needed somewhere else!" type cliffhangers, but due to the poor sales of Psychonauts I just don't think that sequel is coming. Ultimately I'd give Psychonauts four out of five stars; the four stars come from being so unique and interesting, but the lack of a fifth reflects on some missing polish that could have vaulted this game into "elite must-play" status.

3 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by what else Tim Schafer has to offer. His old point and click adventure games (Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle) are supposed to be absolute classics of the genre that I do plan on playing at some point, and Grim Fandango combines film noir with Mexican calaca with apparently good results- I think Trev might have some input on that one if I remember correctly. Brutal Legend however has me sayin 'no thanks.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Grim Fandango. What a fantastic childhood memory. Fun story... true story! I bought this game as a gift for my mother for her birthday (yeah... I was one of those sons), then just ended up playing it all for myself. From my recollection, it is an amazing, truly original game. It focuses on corruption in the underworld. Everyone that dies has to make it to eternal peace, or something of the sorts. If you lived a good life then your allowed to hop on a train or cruise ship that will take you to the finish line in no time at all. If you lived a bad life, you get a walking cane. Your character works as a travel agent booking these arrangements, when he discovers someone is embezzling perks as a deceased nun gets denied first class treatment.

    All that aside, great game. Add it to your back-log if you already haven't. I think it stands as Schafer's best work. And don't play Brutal Legend... ugh. That was a regretful buy.

    But to touch upon Psychonauts for a quick sec. I'm about half way through, I think. It's been over a year since I've last played, but I remember being at the Godzilla stage... or maybe I was doing something with these Dragnet-detective looking fellas? I can't remember exactly, but I agree with Stan. Although I will hold my final opinion until I complete the game, it is fun, but scattered all over the place. I don't know whether it should be applauded for its originality, or condemned for it seeming lack of direction. Time will tell if I ever get around to finishing it.

    ReplyDelete