June 12, 2011

True Blood: Season 1


I swear I'm not gay either. Marissa and Trevor have already contributed their own opinions about this particular season of TV, so I'll spend my post focusing on an issue I've been struggling with for a few months now: how to handle the merging of my girlfriend's DVD collection with my own. As you probably know if you follow this blog regularly, I spent most of high school and college buying whatever movies and TV shows caught my eye and ended up blowing a couple thousand dollars on what must be at least 600 DVDs. My girlfriend "only" has like fifty of her own, so the collection that currently sits on our shelving units is largely my own (and thankfully, largely already seen). But still - the original goal behind the Back-Blogged project was to "finish everything on our shelves." And, well, True Blood now sits on my shelf. For a while I ignored the concept of merging backlogs, but the inevitability of the idea has slowly crept its way into my mind and, well, fuck it. I guess I'm "doomed" to watching several seasons of Grey's Anatomy, Gossip Girl, and Sex and the City as well as a few chick flicks. (I must stress "few" - Marissa is more of a shitty action movie fan than a rom-com girl. What can I say? I found a winner.) But, wait, does that also condemn me to three-dozen murder mysteries? And Candy Factory on the Wii? Because my backlog is big enough, and I don't need to go nuts adding stuff to it for the sake of, well, adding stuff to it. So I've come up with a plan that isn't even a new one, but merely an extension of what I was doing when living with my parents and sisters. When it comes to stuff that doesn't technically belong to me but still resides in my own residence, I'm gonna watch read, and play what I want to watch, read, and play. What a novel concept! That means I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on Marissa's copy of The Orange Box (again, I chose well) but I'll ignore the presence of Glee on my DVD shelf for as long as I possibly can. My understanding is that plenty of my fellow bloggers employ similar systems. I know Marissa blogs about my stuff all the time, and I think Sweeney has made several posts on TV seasons or video games that he's borrowed from me or his roommate or someone else. (He's credited me with many an "assist.") We all define and approach our backlogs with differing degrees of precision and completion. For now, I'll just "add" my girlfriend's stuff to my list of logged stuff without ever actually placing them in my backlog first. Cheating? Hardly! Oh, yeah, and True Blood is actually a decent show. Not great, but decent. But more on that when I finish and post about Season 2.

2 comments:

  1. You think YOUR in trouble?!

    Around 600 DVDs and TV shows that I have varying levels of interest in are now on my theoretical back-log.

    Things I most want to watch: Arrested Development, Community, Parks and Rec, the Office, South Park, Weeds, Six Feet Under, Rome, Band of Brothers, Deadwood....

    I'm in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing about all of those TV shows is that they are good.

    ReplyDelete