January 7, 2014

Chakan: The Forever Man


Problem:
Chakan is a notoriously difficult game. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Solution:
Cheat codes, baby. Cheat codes.

Conclusion:
I can't even blame this game's age for its shortcomings; it came out in 1992, well after plenty of other enjoyable classic titles. I've bemoaned "clunky controls" like two dozen times on this blog, easily. But Chakan just might take the cake for the most sluggish controller input reaction I've ever seen. The tragic irony here is that Chakan is far and away the lengthiest and most expansive game yet in my Genesis backlog. Don't get me wrong - I want these things to come and go as quickly as possible - but I still respect any old game for having an adequate length as long as it's designed well. This one wasn't. Even with all those cheat codes it still took me several cautious hours to end this one, and I can't say I respect it any more for my troubles.

Arrow Flash
Alien Storm
Chakan: The Forever Man
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Altered Beast
Bonanza Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment