January 1, 2014

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle


As all the most frequent readers of this blog know, I recently received quite the Christmas gift: a Chinese knock-off Sega Genesis that came pre-loaded with 80 games. Yeah, that's right. Eighty fucking games! It was a great gift - I've never owned a Sega system, and now I can go back and play a lot of old gems. But it was also the single most devastating blow to my backlog in, well, ever.

There are two silver linings here. The first is that forty of the games were of a trivial homebrew-like variety. We're talking about "titles" like "Air Hockey," "Chess," and "Mahjong." None were ever licensed by Sega or given a full release, and as such, I see no reason to count these toward my backlog. They're not even real games. The second silver lining is that eight of the forty legitimate titles were repeats from my Sonic Mega Collection. So those aren't in the backlog either. Still, that leaves 32 games of varying quality. One day into 2014 I've already matched my game acquisition total from last year. It's going to be a long year if I want to break even on my video game totals, let alone make some progress.

Anyway, the first game I tackled was Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, a 1989 platformer. There's not much to say about the game, other than that it was a 1989 platformer. Did you know Alex Kidd was Sega's unofficial mascot before Sonic came along? You'd never have guessed it by playing this game, which was - I stress again - just a 1989 platformer. With a strange emphasis on rock-paper-scissors duels.

Next up, if I just storm through these games in alphabetical order? Alien Storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment