January 12, 2014

Ryse: Son of Rome


Well this is what Crytek has been doing instead of Timesplitters 4. Ryse: Son of Rome has been divisive among critics. Some deem this game garbage because of the repetitive nature of the combat. Others deem it great due to its graphics and high production values. I tend to agree with the latter, but understand why some people are bothered by this game's repetitive nature. First, let's focus on the good. The graphics are incredible. Based on what I've seen, this is the best game on either new system when it comes to showing what these systems can really do. All cut scenes are done with the in-game engine and it's damn impressive. For the first time, I've seen a game in which the characters don't look completely dead behind the eyes. Moreover, the voice acting is good enough to live up to the high bar set by the graphics. But, that's only one part of why I was so impressed by this game. The environments are better than anything I have ever seen. They vary a lot more than I would have expected considering how much this game was slammed. The lighting effects are just crazy good. But, I was expecting great graphics. That's why I got this game. What I wasn't expecting was such an engaging story. The game starts with an aged Marius in a room with the Emperor Nero. Marius explains how he had to watch as Barbarians murdered his entire family 10 years prior. We then follow him through his conquests as Soldier in the Roman Army and his eventual RYSE to General. I won't say too much more in case someone else plays this game at some point, but it was a very satisfying narrative. I loved it for the most part, but I could have used less involvement of the Gods. That story has been done and takes away from the realism that this game brings.

Ok, now the bad. The combat is very, very repetitive and the game is as linear as they come. If this game had combat as satisfying as God of War, it could have gone down as Game of the Year. However, games need to have satisfying gameplay. And this one is not always that satisfying. Each fight feels relatively the same because you can pretty much fight them in the exact same way. Evade, parry, strike, repeat. However, as the opponents become more difficult, the game becomes more satisfying as it is all about timing that combination correctly. Other than being repetitive, the gameplay also suffers from an abundance of quick time events. And all these events are pretty much taken from a pool of 6 or so. Moreover, even if you hit the wrong button, the quick time event goes the same way. You just score more or less points based on what buttons you hit/miss. I found myself wanting to avoid these events entirely, but they were too advantageous as other opponents could not hit you while you were performing them.

Overall, I am glad I played it. It had an engaging story, it was fun at times and it showed me what my Xbox One could do. I just wish the gameplay could be on the level of everything else (which was all top notch). If you find yourself with an Xbox One, I'd give it a recommend. But do not spend $60 on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment