January 14, 2014

Nintendo Land


Frankly, for me there's no telling when you've really "beaten" this game. For the unfamiliar, it's a collection of twelve minigames based on existing Nintendo franchises, ostensibly set at a carnival-like place, and designed to show off different features of the Wii U's controllers and overall potential. It's a giant marketing gimmick, plain and simple. But it's also a lot of fun, particularly in these early stages of the Wii U's lifetime when the multiplayer games are quite limited. Some minigames are meant to be played with friends cooperatively, others against friends competitively, and all the rest entirely solo - though these still provide plenty of competition fodder in the form of high score battles. Anyway, I've played all twelve of the games multiple times and I've unlocked several modes and I've mastered a few of the minigames (two, I think?) and I've shown the game off to family members the way you'd show off Wii Sports to family members in 2007. In essence, I'd say I've experienced the vast bulk of this one, and while plenty of individual challenges remain, I've done enough to comfortably call this one "beaten." Not 100% finished or completed or anything, but certainly "beaten." I don't want to drone on and describe each of the twelve games in detail, so instead I'll offer a superlative for each one.

Least enjoyable game I am most skilled at: Yoshi's Fruit Cart
Most enjoyable game I am least skilled at: Donkey Kong's Crash Course
Best solo adventure: Pikmin Adventure
Best cooperative adventure: The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest
Most intuitive control scheme: Mario Chase
Clumsiest control scheme: Metroid Blast
Most replay value: Captain Falcon's Twister Race
Least replay value: Takamaru's Ninja Castle
Most stressful game: Animal Crossing: Sweet Day
Most relaxing game: Balloon Trip Breeze
Overall most essential game: Luigi's Ghost Mansion
Overall least essential game: Octopus Dance

Fight me on these superlatives. No, really. I'm dying to give Nintendo Land some kind of meaningful place in the Back-Blogged zeitgeist.

1 comment:

  1. I pretty much only ever play Mario Chase and that's when people are over and suggest it. I have never made time for this game on my own except the first day I had the Wii U. I think I want to devote a few hours to this one day and really play through the mini games. Maybe I'll even get one of those fancy little stars next to the attraction. On that day, I will post this game.

    ReplyDelete