January 5, 2014

Altered Beast


The year is 1988. This came comes out and apparently makes enough of an impact on popular culture that references are made to it for years on end and its Wikipedia page is actually a fairly lengthy one.

The year is 2014. I play this game and fail to be even remotely enthused. It's just another side-scrolling beat-em-up, this one with way shittier and clunkier controls than the last one I played, Alien Storm. I know I'm only three games deep into "Carmen Sandiego and the Genesis 32" but so far it looks like it'll mostly be an uninspiring waste of time. Most of these games are arcade ports, making their runtimes something like an hour or two at a maximum, their only lengthening coming from how difficult it can be to beat them. This was actually a fairly tough one - again, the controls were clunky shit here - but with five total stages that lasted five minutes at most, I was able to finish up in an hour or two even with all the restarts. Like I said, this project seems like a largely uninspiring waste of time. Still, I'm glad to have a Sega Genesis, and who knows which random game I play will be a lot of fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment