February 16, 2013

Candace Kane's Candy Factory


For one Christmas that must have been five years ago or more, I bought Marissa this game and a new iPod. The iPod was the gift, you see, and this shovelware Wii title was something I picked up on a whim for ten bucks in the check-out line. I figured I'd give her two wrapped presents, this one first, just really setting the bar so, so low for that second gift, and then it's an iPod, and we'd have some laughs and whatever. Well, the joke was on me, because earlier tonight I decided I was sick of this game sitting unbeaten and largely unplayed among our game collection. Marissa has told me for five years now that she did play this game, once, and that it was simply the same thing over and over again. I didn't believe her, and figured she was just (understandably) bored by a shitty game.

She wasn't lying or exaggerating. This game consists solely of switching pieces of candy around on an assembly line, creating combinations to appease an endless line of customers, racking up scores. Score high enough, and you can buy new factory equipment. Get more factory equipment, and you can score higher. But that's it. That's all there is to this browser-based Flash game disguised as a standalone Wii title. What a shitty gift! What an unbearably boring game!

Anyway, Marissa played this once. I've now played this once. We've collectively upgraded every piece of factory equipment. I think this is all either of us needed to see from Candy Factory. So here's a post. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment