February 8, 2013

The Giver


For Christmas, Steve got me Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son by Lois Lowry. They are companion pieces to one of my favorite books from school, The Giver. Now, just because it was one of my favorite books doesn't mean I have any memory of what it is about. Literally no memory. It was great reading the book again because I got to enjoy it like I've never read it before! It's about a "utopian" society where everyone is happy. The children are all categorized by age and when you become an eleven, you are given your new role / occupation in the society. Every person can apply for a husband and wife which they are expertly matched with. This couple can apply for a child (up to two) that a birthing mother gives birth too. And the elderly are "released" when their time has come in a joyous ceremony. People are hard wired not to be rude to each other and be polite and orderly. What a place right!

Spoilers ahead!

Well when young Jonas comes of age, he is given the role of Receiver. The receiver receives all of the memories from previous times from the current Giver. Jonas has the special ability to receive memories and slowly beings to experience things like color and sunlight. However, he also experiences things like pain and war.

I won't go any further into the book, but I really liked it and I'm happy I re-read it before starting Gathering Blue. It's a real cool idea for a book society and I hope the next books are about it.

Good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment