February 24, 2013

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Parts I & II


You may remember, a while back, I posted on Frank Miller's graphic novel masterpiece, The Dark Knight Returns. Where many people rate this as being one of the best Batman stories ever written, it's so fucking entertaining, it's up there as one of the best novels I've ever read. Period.

Well, when I finally got around to buying up the directed to video adaptation, I was a little skeptical if it could re-deliver on the same excitement I once enjoyed. I mean, this isn't some theatrical release with millions and millions of dollars backing it - don't get me wrong, I do hope this happens one day. No. This was a direct to DVD release. For me, this usually translates to low-budget and poor critic reception. Let's not waste our time and money putting this into theaters, but maybe we can make some money back on DVD. On top of this, I didn't hear much noise for Part I, which was released back in the fall. It wasn't until Part II came out last month that the whole thing began to turn some heads. With that bit of commotion - and my love of original novel - I decided to give both parts a go in one sitting.

Holy shit! Holy shit! Holy shit!

Yes. It's damn amazing.

If you haven't seen this yet, and you're at least somewhat of a Batman fan, what are you waiting for? If your answer is that you're still planning on reading Miller's novel first, then I understand. But, still... Why are you waiting on reading that? The story of Batman's return from retirement is, in a word... epic. Get on that shit! Its brilliant story aside, let's jump to how this adaptation faired.

I'm not sure how or why I was so riveted by it, but I was. I mean, it didn't have my A-team cast. That would have pretty much included the same talent from the 90's WB Batman: The Animated Series along with Bryan Cranston as Commissioner Gordon. In this case we have Robocop playing Wayne/Batman (with one monotone voice playing both characters - a bit boring) and the younger sister of Modern Family playing Carrie Kelley (this story's Robin). Basically nothing special here. The only voice acting that came across somewhat interesting what Lost's Ben Linus' work as the Joker. Still... I give it all a "meh". 

Next is the animation. Another "meh". I mean, it's television quality. Not cinema quality. Even 1988's animation classic Akira leaves the animation direction in these films in the dust. True, Akira - for those that haven't seen it - is a high bar to reach, but I would even wager that the direction in 90's animated series was much stronger than what I saw in here. 

So, talent... nothing special. Animation... gets the job done. Even the soundtrack was so-so. It sounded like composer Christopher Drake borrowed heavily from Hans Zimmer's Dark Knight soundtrack. Good, but nothing original or groundbreaking.

What the fuck is it then that's so great about these films?

It's Miller's story, plain and simple. Even when it's boiled down to a film adaptation - where you lose all of the characters' internal monologues - the story is still unbelievably compelling. Now, it may seem like I'm shitting on all of those responsible for building these films, but I do have to commend them for staying so true to the source material in this adaptation. In fact it's probably the most accurate film adaptation I've ever seen.

Now, I'll end this post with one final recommendation. If any of you ever decide to embark on this story, first, I should ask you to read Miller's Batman: Year One. Then watch the film adaptation - Cranston plays Gordon; he's fantastic. There's no connection between Year One and this story, but it's apart of Miller's Batman work and both should be experienced. Next, move your way to Miller's Dark Knight Returns - the novel version. Once you've read that, then view both parts of this film adaptation (back-to-back) and re-live Wayne's return to to cowl, his final fight against the insane Joker, and the climatic brawl between Batman and seemingly invincible Superman. After you're finished salivating from all of that, move onto Miller's sequel, The Dark Knight Strikes Again. Something I'll be posting upon here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment