February 8, 2013

Wanderlust


I had to go into work today for a short while to get some lab work done. Thankfully, it was barely snowing and the roads were empty. Sweet commute! After taking a glorious nap when I got home, I decided Steve and I would watch movies today. I got a bunch for Christmas and I had to start crossing some off the list. Steve got me a Paul Rudd "sampler pack" and he requested I start with one of those. I picked Wanderlust because it had Jennifer Aniston in it too and I love Jennifer Aniston!

This movie was...weird. It was definitely funny. There were a lot of good one liners in it. But it was really odd. Paul Rudd and JA buy a NYC tiny ass "mini loft" (AKA studio) which they are promptly forced to sell because JA has no career and Paul Rudd lost his job. Oopsies! They go to live with his bro in Atlanta but that turns out to be a huge mistake. So they end up settling in this hippy community with nudists and free love and psychedelic drugs. Calamity ensues!

Funny movie, but I'm not sure if I will ever want to watch it again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh also! The super bearded hippy dude on the cover is JA's hubby Justin Thereoux! Really weird, totally didn't recognize him! I can't imagine this movie set was very romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve's opinion:

    Wanderlust was funny, but like most modern comedy movies it suffered from an underdeveloped plot. It was full of great actors giving genuinely funny performances, and not whatsoever in slap-stick-y over-the-top ways, but the meagerness of the story was a real distraction from the humor itself. I'm actually kind of torn here; had there been more of a story, I may have liked the movie even less, as more story would have meant fewer laughs. Had there been any less of a story, I'd probably have rolled my eyes and dismissed the movie as an underdeveloped mess of scattered scenes. So in a sense, it was just right - and still, it wasn't great. It was good, though, and -I'll stress again - very funny. David Wain directed it, so if you liked Wet Hot American Summer and Role Models, you'll do well with this one.

    ReplyDelete