February 13, 2013

Boardwalk Empire: Season One

Yeah, I'm spreading myself thin with all of the series I've started in the past month. Next up is Boardwalk Empire, a currently airing drama that will start into its fourth season this fall. The two things I was most looking forward to here were lead actor Steve Buscemi's performance, and a big-budget recreation of the prohibition-era Atlantic City boardwalk. Both of these turned up in spades- Buscemi's Nucky Thompson feels like one of his most interesting characters, and the whole series feels like it accurately captures the 1920's. Still though, not much on the show has blown me away yet- there were a few episodes that felt like they didn't move the plot forward much at all, and while I appreciate the big budget and fantastic cast, I feel like the whole thing could use a little more action and intrigue. This is a show full of gangsters, why aren't there more shoot-outs? Still though, we've got a solid enough first season for me to stay on board for now. Season two of Boardwalk Empire shouldn't be too far behind.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I was ready to comment with something like, "Yeah, Boardwalk is a decent show, but it's a far cry from the best stuff out there." And yet, looking at my own year-end show rankings for the past three years, I went #4 #4 #10 on this one. Though I'm scratching my head at some of the decisions I made on said rankings, I can't deny that the show has consistently been one I enjoy watching. For what it's worth, I think Season 2 was its best year.

    ReplyDelete