February 8, 2013

Shutter Island


I'm a big mystery book fan! My book shelves are lined with them, and one of the ones I have good memories of is Shutter Island. I was excited to hear that this was going to be turned into a movie with my boy, Leo. I finally got around to buying this when it was cheap on Blu Ray on Thanksgiving. And turns out, just like the Giver, I really couldn't remember what happened! The plot focuses around a missing patient in a mental institution for violent criminals and Leo is sent there to investigate the disappearance. I won't give away anymore plot details, but I would recommend watching it. Throughout most of the movie, I thought, meh B-. I wasn't quite loving the pacing of the movie and some of the dream sequences were sort of weird. But, by the final 30 minutes I was completely on board! Good movie! Glad I bought it. I think this is a movie I would watch on tv when it came on. Not if it was competing with Titanic of course.

1 comment:

  1. Steve's opinion:

    The older I get, and the more movies I see, the less often I find myself wanting to re-watch movies. The exception is often when Marissa, a sister, or a friend has not yet seen a movie, and I'm on board to go along for the ride as they see it for the first time. So it should tell you something that I really want to re-watch Shutter Island and, given the ability to stay up all night, could probably do so tonight. This was a great movie. Scorsese directs a Dennis Lehane novel in which DiCaprio shines and Ben Kingsley and Mark Ruffalo give great supporting performances. The movie was a great blend of mystery and psychological horror, something that slowly turns into The Shining over the course of two hours (which, I guess, is what The Shining did, too). Best of all, Shutter Island puts on a clinic for how to do a "twist ending" the right way, not so much pulling the rug out from under us at the last minute, but sort of easing it out from underneath us all along until it isn't there at all, then pointing out that, hey, look at that, the rug is gone, but you probably saw it sneaking away once or twice, didn't you? I'll say no more.

    ReplyDelete