February 23, 2013

Final Fantasy VI




This is my first post of the month and its already the 23rd thats not a great sign. The credits are still rolling on this one so I am not sure what my final time ended up being, I would estimate somewhere in the 60 hour range. Its hard to say for the fact that I often left it charging for a little bit while not actually playing which accumulated a few hours that weren't real.

I liked this game, I really did. However, I think I liked FFIV more. There were too many things I didn't like in this game. I think that I had to right Ultros, who wasn't even important, way too many times. Why the hell was I fighting a braggart of a squid? My other problem was the sheer amount of options I had for attacks. I used Gau and he ended up with like 60 rages that I had to remember what they did. Everyone else I tried to balance between attacks and magic. Most of them ended up with 12-20 magical spells. There were simply too many people to keep track of. I didn't want to need someone later and find out that I never bothered leveling them up so I tried to level everyone up and give them all basic healing and attack spells. I hated breaking people into parties and then realizing that one party was too strong or another was way to weak. I didn't really enjoy the part at the beginning of the dark part where I had to go get the gang back together. It felt very Mighty Ducks II. Trying to find out the specific things I needed to do to reclaim my party was hard and I don't think it was doable without a walk through  None of the bosses were all that hard and I felt like I was destroying all of them with very minimal grinding.

Now that I have bashed it thoroughly I will try to convince you that I did in actuality enjoy this game. I spent a lot of that first section comparing it to FFIV which is not fair because if I wanted FFIV again I would have just played that. The story in this game was a lot better and a lot more complex. I liked that I could use the Espers on everyone and they would all be able to learn new things. Nobody was limited to either attack or magic they could all do both (for the most part). I liked the way the Espers worked where they helped you level up but you could also use them once per battle. It wasn't like you could summon them over and over again so you had to choose the right time in the battle. The last section of battles were really fun. I liked that you had to fight like 7 battles in a row but they gave you  save points after the first three and then you had to blast your way through a long final boss battle. I only failed the final boss once which made it hard but not too hard. I would have been dissapointed if I just walked in and killed the final boss in one attempt.

I have FFV that was lent to me and I need to decide if I want to play that one also or just return it. I have Portal 2 and Fire Emblem that I am pretty deep into right now so posts should be coming on those shortly. I also have Chrono Trigger lined up as well as Scribblenauts Unlimited and New Super Mario Brothers 2 for the 3DS. Time to get my nose down to the Logstone (that was terrible I cant believe I said that).

2 comments:

  1. You know, this might be my favorite game of all time, but I can't pretend in hindsight that your criticisms aren't valid. I think what I fondly remember is the story and the characters (because why not) while it's a lot easier to let the gameplay quirks slide. The most frustrating part of the game for me was that initial "dark world" part where you had to reassemble the team as you say. Not so much the latter parts - I thought it was kind of cool how you needed to do certain things in a certain order, ie, get Character A back before Character B will rejoin - but the early parts where it's just [REDACTED] walking around, fighting battles all alone. Random encounters nearly killed me with a party of one or two. Damn!

    My thoughts on FF5 are that if you didn't LOVE FF4 and FF6 you won't LOVE FF5. You will still probably like it though, but if you've got so many other games on the table you know you do enjoy, why not put it off for a while? At least that's my own logic on not yet buying Fire Emblem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't blame you if this isn't your favorite- everyone has their own preferences in Final Fantasy, but what you can say about 6 (and 7) is that they're near the top for almost everyone. I can't speak on most of those other games you listed, but Chrono Trigger is just phenominal. Enjoy that one.

    ReplyDelete