February 14, 2013

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

It's been two years since I first got my Kindle, and in my excitement that Christmas morning to try the whole thing out I downloaded a few free books of interest since I hadn't set up a paid account or anything. The first of these was The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle- I figured I couldn't go wrong with a nice mystery written by one of the most famous mystery authors of all. What I didn't realize until a few days ago however was that this was not one mystery, but twelve. Sherlock and Dr. Watson have twelve separate adventures in this collection of short stories, none of which really connect to eachother aside from passing spoiler-free mentions of older cases. And for the most part, I was very happy with the book. I was surprised at how it didn't feel dated a bit, but more of a product of its time that has only gotten better with age- in addition to being a detective novel, it's also now a great period piece! The stories are tense and smartly written, and have left me wanting to try out one of Doyle's full-length novels about Sherlock Holmes. The good news is I can add that to my backlog whenever I want- it's free, free free!

1 comment:

  1. Now we both just need to watch Sherlock on BBC America. Apparently it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete