November 3, 2017

Super Mario Odyssey


It's been a big year for Nintendo. A new console and new games for two of their largest franchises: Zelda and Mario. When Breath of the Wild dropped earlier this year, I considered it a smash hit (as did the majority of people). Now, we got Super Mario Odyssey. For me, this was a long awaited return to the gameplay we haven't seen since those dearly loved Galaxy days. 

But the question remi: Does Odyssey hold up?

Yeah, it does. Undoubtably. 

Mario has -- and likely always will be -- a staple in platform games. The gaming mechanics always feel so smooth and natural that it doesn't take long before you can pull of crazy combos to navigate challenging obstacles. With Odyssey, we are introduced to Cappy --  your sentient hat sidekick -- and this guy brings with him a whole new list of moves Mario can now do. At surface level, you just throw a hat out and it will help you hit enemies. But when you're not using Cappy to boop badies on the head, you're using it to take control of their bodies. (Something somewhat similar to a Kirby-effect.) And when you're not possessing other chaaracters (who have their own list of special moves you to explore), you're using Cappy in weird, new ways to extend your jumps and help Mario pull off amazing combos that allow you to reach new areas of the game. Reddit is flooding right now with gifs of players using Cappy to pull of some ridiculous moves that allow Mario to enter areas developers may or may have not intended gamers to get to.

Aside from the gameplay and mechanics, which in and of themselves makes this game an essential buy, we also the world(s). When trailers were first dropping for Odyssey, I though this might be a story about Mario sailing around the world to come home -- if I'm to draw any conclusions based of Homer's work with the same name. I was half right in my predictions. Mario isn't necessarily on a journey to get home, but he is on a journey nonetheless. A journey that takes him across many different environments (and maybe some off-world locations -- I'm not going to reveal too much) in order for him to reach his destination. (OK. Small spoiler. You're trying to save Peach from Bowser -- SHOCKER!) The places you explore along your adventure are fun, colorful, and expansive. There's a lot to discover and your efforts and consistently rewarded with treasures and coins. (Oh! Worth noting your coins actually mean something in this game. So collecting them is now an essential endeavor.) Some worlds you'll travel to are even heart-warningly nostalgic to the Mario64 days. However, I'll refrain from providing any more details because all of the fun comes from the surprises that are yielded from your desire to explore every inch of these worlds.

I think my only downside to the game's mapping system is that there's no central hub Mario runs around in. You have an airship of sort of that takes you place to place, which is... OK. It's not that it's a bad feature, I just love the idea of having a central hub that I'm constantly returning to and slowly expanding by unlocking additional areas. That was the beauty of Peach's Castle in Mario64. While it looked plain on the surface, it quickly becomes clear there's more than meets the eye there. It would have been nice if Mario's ship offered that same sense of wonder. Sadly, no. This is by no means a deal breaker. Just comments from the peanut gallery.

So, while I've have beaten this game within several hours of gameplay, it's quite clear that there's still a lot to unearth. I'm making this post because I've technically reached the narrative conclusion (e.g. Mario vs Bowser) and hit the credits. But looking back on the game, it's obvious there's still so, so, so much to do. 

I write this now with roughly 260 moons collected, but it seems I need to get around 500 to unlock the next big event. And ~900 moons to 100% the game. Time to stop playing dress-up with Mario's seemingly endless supply of costumes and get back to hunting down those moons.

Oh! One small note. I faint dream that would be nice to see addressed in the next game. Do you think we can do away with the Bowser-kidnaps-Peach-and-Mario-has-to-save-her storyline? Sure, it's iconic to the franchise. I get it. But we're 30-something years out since this game was first created, shouldn't it be time for something new? How about a story where Peach is the central character and she fights Bowser on her own? Or a story where Mushroom Kingdom is being attacked by a brand new evil and Mario, Peach, AND Bowser have to team up to save the day. I got nothing against this game, Nintendo, but would it hurt to try pushing the envelope a little more. I know you can do it! I mean, just look at what was accomplished in Breath of the Wild. Anyway... I've made my case. 

One last thing before I forget. Here are my game rankings for the year. It's a tough pick... but I think I still prefer Breath of the Wild over Mario Odyssey. Maybe the further I get in Mario, the more my preference of it will change, but as of right now, it's holding the #3 spot!. 

That just leaves Cuphead in my inbox to finish (IF I CAN!). Anyone else got a recommendations for a 2017 title that could overthrow these giants?

2 comments:

  1. "How about a story where Peach is the central character and she fights Bowser on her own?"

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Princess_Peach

    "Or a story where Mushroom Kingdom is being attacked by a brand new evil and Mario, Peach, AND Bowser have to team up to save the day."

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG

    You know how "Simpsons already did it!" has become a running gag of sorts? Yeah, Super Mario has been around longer than the Simpsons. They've done it! They've done it all!

    But yeah, holy crap am I looking forward to playing this game. Breath of the Wild just never excited me, either from a distance or in my limited time up close with it - sounds like sacrilege I know, but there it is! But Mario Odyssey? Oh hell the fuck yeah. I want this. This looks like Galaxy 3 in the best kind of way. I will buy a Switch for this. (But not yet! Not yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got an answer for everything, don't ya?

    But in all fairness, you're right. A franchise this long has explored many, many different ways to play with their characters. So let me rephrase my concern.

    Could we get another Super Mario RPG? Not another Paper Mario. Not necessarily another RPG-style game featuring Mario. But a game that twists the franchise on its head. And, unlike with Super Princess Peach, make it a tentpole title for the main console. Not trying to outright diss handheld consoles here, but aside from Pokemon, those games feel second tier to what their TV console counterparts offer. At least they do for me -- sometimes you need a proper screen for Mario's adventures to feel "larger than life." You know what I'm saying?

    I think my main issue with Super Mario Odyssey is that -- despite it being a great game and a whole lot of fun -- it was missing that "WOW" factor. That jaw-dropping feeling I got from Super Mario RPG or Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy. To be fair, I think it's sometimes really hard to describe what illicit that feeling too! There are some really cool elements to this game (possibly some more that I've yet to unlock), but I'm never going to stop rolling my eyes when I realize I'm on yet another mission to rescue Peach from Bowser. That, right there, is what bothered me the most about this game. Luckily, it does so much else right... I can tolerate this pet peeve in the end.

    ReplyDelete