August 7, 2011

Salt


Who is Salt? Honestly, after seeing this movie, I'm still not sure. This entire post will probably be a SPOILER ALERT so read ahead with caution. We start the movie believing that Angelina Jolie aka Salt is an American CIA agent performing as a spy in Russia. Then a Russian agent is captured by the CIA and says Russian spies were trained since birth to infiltrate the American CIA and kill the Russian president during the US VPs funeral. Here's where things got a little foggy for me. Why would Russians want to kill their own president? Regardless, this Russian guy accuses Salt of being a Russian spy who will do the killing. She then freaks out, escapes CIA headquarters, and evades them during a high speed chase. Dramatic. At this point, I still kind of thought Salt was innocent and not a Russian spy. Wrong! She sneaks into the VPs funeral and kills the Russian president. She's captured by the police, but don't worry, she's sneaky and a spy, so she escapes. She then rendezvous with her Russian "father" who trained her in the ways of deception and badassery. However, this here Father person is pissed that she married someone so he kills her husband. She is sad, and what do sad spies do? They kill everyone around them. She begins killing people with a vodka bottle. How very Russian. She then goes to the White House because apparently she is involved in an elaborate plot to fire nuclear missiles everywhere. Weirdness continue. The president is rushed to the bunker with a CIA agent but guess what? The CIA agent, Salt's former boss, is also a Russian spy. Seriously, I cannot get anyone's identity straight in this movie. What other plot twists can we have? Well, on the news, the two Russian spies see that the Russian president was actually only paralyzed with poison. So apparently Salt was a spy with a heart of gold and didn't actually kill the president. So I don't get it. She stops the nuclear attack and escapes.

But I don't get it. Was she a Russian spy? Yes. Was she a CIA agent? Kind of. Did she kill dozens of Russians? Yes. Did she love her husband? Yes.

I have no clue what her motives were. I think she's supposed to be a good guy. But I can only say that with 60% confidence.

1 comment:

  1. That's almost as high as the 62% confidence with which Rotten Tomatoes calls this film "fresh." But thanks for the post. I think I speak for everyone when I bang my fists on the table and start chanting "WE WANT MORE! WE WANT MORE!"

    ReplyDelete