August 9, 2011

Eastbound & Down: Season 2


I really enjoyed the first season of Eastbound & Down, and was looking forward to last fall's sophomore effort. But I dropped out after four of seven episodes. I just wasn't enjoying the show as much as I had the first time around. It was probably a combination of a lot of factors - raised expectations, slightly diminished quality, a crowded primetime TV schedule on Sunday nights, etc. Whatever the cause, I cut bait and said "I'll wait for the DVD." And now, here's the DVD. And it was well worth the wait. Freed from the chaotic Sunday night autumn TV grid and long after expectations have faded, Eastbound & Down's second season ended up being a real pleasure to watch. Still not as good as the first season, but decent enough for me to be glad I spent my time watching it. And isn't that all we can ask from any TV show? Also, in Fall '10 me's defense, the final three episodes were better than the first four. This show isn't for everyone and the humor is pretty sophomoric and crude, but in a very self-aware way; we're not laughing with Kenny Powers, but at him instead. So if "semi-ironic redneck comedy" isn't something you can believe in, you might as well avoid this show. Otherwise, I do think it's worth looking into. Thirteen half-hour episodes are all there've been so far, and Wikipedia says (so take it with a grain of salt) that the upcoming third season will be the last. That means it's a low commitment! At any rate, it's nice to finally have some closure on the season of television I started ten months ago, but I can't even pretend I've been dying to see how things turned out. I need to remind myself I have the "wait for the DVD" option more often.

1 comment:

  1. The wait for DVD option is dangerous considering we only have a little space left on the DVD shelf.

    Also, Kenny Powers hair is ridiculous in this dvd cover.

    ReplyDelete