August 21, 2011

Alex Cross's Trial

Have no fear! My #1 homeboy Alex Cross did not get arrest, and no, he is not on trial. Phew. That would be a crazy plot line. Oh wait, they already did that. See Pop Goes the Weasel. Anywho, the last book was about violence in Africa. This is about lynchings in the South. Our boy Cross, writes a memoir. Not his memoir though. One about his great Uncle Abe. No, it's not Lincoln. It's Abraham Cross. A black man growing up in Eudora, MS where lynchings are common. This book was so out of pattern (see the additional author) that I didn't want to read it. Would it still count as reading the whole series? I thought so. Steve made me doubt my commitment though, and so I read it.

Turns out, it wasn't bad. It was about a white man from DC who under the orders from Teddy Roosevelt he goes to his home town of Eudora to investigate the lynchings. Not only does he investigate, but he stirs up enough trouble, that he himself is lynched. He survives though and lives to fight the white men on trial who "didn't shoot and kill a black man". Sure. He is unsuccessful in his defense but he makes a lot of friends and gets support for a larger cause. Heartwarming.

Despite not wanting to read it going in, it went quicker than I thought. It was a good book and a much needed break from our hero, Alex Cross. Two more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment