August 7, 2011

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time 3D




I had played this game as a child and had never beaten it. For the most part this game was very familiar to me until about the last two dungeons where I got a bit confused and the game actually got difficult for me. After Replaying this game as an adult I can see why it often gets acclaimed as one of the greatest games of all time. It is just hard enough to be challenging while simple enough to be enjoyed by almost anyone. The various items make the puzzles fun and varied. It also has one of the best told stories of any game I have ever played.

The story continues with Link trying to save his precious Princess Zelda while concurrently saving the land of Hyrule from a dark enemy, namely Gannondorf. While some games in this series have implemented twists that involve link to travel from the light world and dark world to take on the same temples this games twist involves traveling 7 years into the future where a dark and bleak world has become of the land of Hyrule. The evil King Gannondorf has taken over the castle and destroyed most of the world.

The 3d effect and remastering of the games graphics was cool but unnecessary. I found that the 3d got in the way of fighting enemies and became dizzying at times. I found that after a short while I kept the 3d toggle in the off position until a cut scene of something cool happened and I would turn it back on for a short period of time. Now that I have beaten this game the Master Quest version has become available to me and soon I will have to re tackle this game with harder puzzles.

2 comments:

  1. When I finished playing Twilight Princess three or four years ago I decided it was better than Ocarina. But now I'm wondering if that was just because I was on a TP high because hearing you wax nostalgic about Ocarina (and seeing Marissa play it every two months) has me very fond of Ocarina all over again, whereas I couldn't really summarize the plot of Twilight Princess with any accuracy nowadays. This one-juror jury is hung!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got my copy of OOT back from Kyle so I decided that I would have him write a quick review and post it as a comment on my post from.... WHAT... that was two years ago!

    Kyle Dupree's post on OOT:

    Super Nintendo was the last system from Nintendo I purchased and actively played up until the Wii. Like most people I was immediately drawn to the motion sensor system and Wii Sports. So naturally after having played it I ran to the store and bought it. It now collects dust in my basement except the occasional drunk driver Mario Kart session. Despite the boring appeal of Nintendo systems as of late I picked up the 3DS thinking it was time I figure out what these old N64 games were all about, as I never played them. With that I could finally play Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

    LoZ: OOT was enjoyable for the most part, there were times that were mind numbingly boring. I borrowed the game from Webber over a year ago occasionally picking it up and getting frustrated with it’s play style and general no help game play. By that I mean there’s no real help provided to you from the game, which is fine, I don’t want the game to walk me through it. But generally you’re at least told in order to pass this temple you need this item. LoZ: OOT didn’t do anything to help you progress through the game, which I suppose they had to do because the game was otherwise insanely easy, including the dreaded Water Temple.

    I was told by more than one person, the Water Temple would break me. It did not, it was pretty easy to figure out what had to be done with one exception. At one point there’s a key that is unreachable because of the enemies blocking it underwater, which means the blue tunic was needed in order to obtain the final key otherwise you run out of air and drown. If Webber hadn’t spoken up about obtaining the blue tunic, I’d have been pointlessly trying to get the key until I threw the system out the window.

    But I digress, the game is 15 years old and most games back then weren’t exactly amazing. Moving on! The storyline of the game was top notch, there’s nothing better than a seemingly useless kid from Hyrule who turns out to be the brave rightful bearer of the Triforce of Courage who’s destined to save the kingdom from the Evil King Ganondorf. Side note, more reason to love Google none of these Zelda terms are triggering a spell check in Drive.

    Overall I rate the game with an A for the storyline alone. The game play was boring, the bosses even more boring. I expected Ganondorf at least to cause me to break a sweat but instead, I used a game mechanic that was used throughout the entire game. Wait for the attack, hit it back at him, rinse, repeat. I beat him on my first attempt without a single death. Oh but what about after the tower collapses! Did anyone not see Ganondorf coming back to try to slay you?! If you didn’t I could slap you through the internet. Once you figure out the easy tactic for Ganondorfs final form, the game ends and you’re sent back to your childhood. Where hopefully Link can finally get it on with Zelda because clearly there’s some sexual tension there, I mean she was stalking him throughout the whole game as Sheik, which was obvious by the way.

    ReplyDelete