July 16, 2010

Million Dollar Baby

When I sat down earlier tonight to watch 2004's "Best Picture," I was well aware of the way it ended. I think everybody, by now, is well aware of the way it ends whether they've seen it or not. Still, I'll not speak of said ending because doing so would be, well, a major spoiler. The thing is, I'm glad I knew the spoiler from the get-go. It allowed me to view the film with different expectations. I was prepared for the fateful twist in the narrative instead of confused and angry once it happened. Actually, even though this was a Best Picture winner, I went in with moderate expectations. A number of my friends, most notably my girlfriend, have voiced their distaste for this boxing flick. The thing is, I kind of liked it. I mean, I'm not in love with it, but I definitely think it was a solid and enjoyable movie. And knowing what was coming was instrumental, I think, in my approval of the film. Clint Eastwood impressed me very much in his role as an angry, mean, no-nonsense trainer. Total bad-ass. Pleasantly surprising was Hilary Swank. Some people hate her. I guess I can see why, but I think she nailed the title role perfectly. Really, who else could have played a tough female boxer with charm and spunk? And Morgan Freeman was just kind of typical. Aside from a great scene in which he knocks out an asshole who was mocking a retarded kid, there's really nothing that he adds to this movie besides his narration prowess. Anyway, I enjoyed this movie very much and I'm fine with the fact that it won Best Picture in 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment