July 17, 2010

The Call of the Wild

This is the third book I've read about sled dogs in the past seven months. This one was different from Dogsong and Stone Fox, however. Not only is it a classic from 1903, but the whole story is told from a dog's perspective. Now, before you get all excited (looking at you, Marissa), I should caution you that this dog is no cute little puppy or lovable lazy old thing that loafs around all day. No, this dog is a monster. He's a 140-pound killing machine. I mean, seriously, over the course of the short novel he killed several other sled dogs and a few people before becoming the alpha male in a wolf pack (by killing all contenders). Yeah, you heard me. A domesticated St.Bernard-Collie mix from California becomes the alpha male in a wolf pack in the middle of Canada. This, and many other parts of the story, seemed a bit far-fetched and unlikely, to say the least. And that'd be fine if this story was written with the tone of a tall tale, but it wasn't meant to be one at all. I didn't particularly enjoy this book, though some of the dog's exploits were laughably over-the-top at least. The book was a short one (my own copy was 62 pages; most have smaller pages and larger print and are around the 150 range), but I still wouldn't say it's worth your time. Oh well. Not every book can be a winner. Right, Dan Brown?

No comments:

Post a Comment