July 29, 2010

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla



With nothing to do this week I'm finally getting around to posting up the completed, yet neglected, items on my backlist. I finished the 5th installment on my plane ride back to L.A. and was decently please with how it turned out. With Stan still debating on whether to read the series or not - and with two other posts already dedicated to this book - I'll keep this entry short and free of any spoilers.

On a general note: I liked it. I still favor the first three novels above this one, but it sure as hell beats Wizard and Glass (not that the 4th book didn't have its own charms - it just detracted too much from series for me). Unless King can rope in W&G and utilize Roland's backstory within these last two books, I'll consider the story - although, somewhat, entertaining - a complete wash. In fact, I see the the whole series as a two-part trilogy with a meaningless filler in between. We have the first three novels explain how Roland and his ka-tet are form, and then we reach Wolves of the Calla - the beginning of the end. King has set up a new laundry list of problems our heroes will have to overcome throughout the conclusion to this epic (hopefully). I would hate to be wrong about that fact and find the characters mindlessly meandering around for another 1,000 pages, but I doubt that will be the case.

For holding my wandering attention and compelling me to immediate rush into the 6th book (that may or may not include a demon-baby abortion), I give Wolves of the Calla my approval.


No comments:

Post a Comment