July 19, 2010

The Metamorphosis

Here's another classic. Quick one. Three chapters, none of them more than twenty pages in length. I definitely read part of this book back in high school. There's a good chance I was supposed to read the whole thing, but regardless, I've done so now. As you most likely know, The Metamorphosis is set in motion when a young man wakes up one day with the body of a giant bug. There's no gradual change like in District 9; the guy is simply a human when he goes to sleep and he's vermin the following morning. The story that ensues is essentially a narrative about the slow and emotionally taxing experience that ensues as his family first tries to accept him for what he is, then only pretends they can accept him, and then finally stops pretending altogether. I realize I may have just "spoiled" the plot, but it doesn't matter because this is a story where the plot takes a backseat to the theme and tone. For such a short little tale - a novella, really - it's been studied and analyzed an awful lot. Because I think most people who spend their lives analyzing literature are pretentious and douchey, I've stayed away from looking up breakdowns and analyses on the Internet. Instead, I'll offer my own quick interpretation. I think the story can easily be paralleled to a man who endures a life-altering injury one day. I haven't bothered to check, but I don't think worker's compensation was around in early 20th century Germany (the setting, or at least when and where the book was written). I think Gregor (the protagonist) could easily represent a handicapped or otherwise disabled person who can no longer work and provide for his family. Said family first tries to cope with the change, then struggles to accept it, then ultimately realizes life would be a lot easier without the burden (for that's all Gregor becomes) around. Perhaps Franz Kafka was trying to use parody and satire in order to seek some sympathy for the disabled. Then again, perhaps I'm either way off on this one or just totally stating the obvious. I wouldn't know; I'm merely an engineer, and critical reading is very difficult for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment