March 5, 2010

Seinfeld: Season 5


Man. March has started out just like February did on Back-Blogged; a huge first of the month, and then nothing for several days. Here's hoping my latest finished item can break the seal, so to speak. Anyway, I know I've said this with every new Seinfeld DVD set I log, but this season was the greatest one yet. The show was definitely in full stride for this entire season. It featured a number of fantastic and well-structured episodes such as "The Mango," "The Puffy Shirt," "The Marine Biologist," and "The Hamptons." One thing that really surprised me was all of the callbacks to previous Seinfeld moments that were scattered throughout the season. I guess I never thought of Seinfeld as story-arcing or serial in any way. After all, it's been described by its own creators as a show where nobody learns any lessons, nobody changes, and nothing happens. I may have just been imagining it, but this season seemed to have more picture clarity than the previous ones. I'm sure that helped make it feel less dated (even though Schindler's List was a plot point in one episode) and, in general, aided in my overall enjoyment of the season. I'm looking forward to Season 6, but I think I need to take a break from Seinfeld for now. Call it an "indefinite hiatus." It's not that I'm growing tired of the show. Instead, I just think I should stop racing through a season every week. After all, I wouldn't want to jam eight years' worth of sitcom gold into a two month stretch. I've completed four of eight DVD volumes, and this halfway point seems like a perfect place for an intermission. Next up? A shot at redemption for Weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment