May 28, 2013

Arrested Development: Season 4


Is this a cheap post? Maybe. But I would also like to point out that we watched it on my Netflix account. Anyway, though I was late to the Arrested Development bandwagon, I fell in love pretty quickly. So it was with incredibly high expectations that I began watching this season with 11 of my closest friends and Webber.

I felt that the single character-centric structure (I realize that it was necessitated by the busy schedules of the cast) hurt a lot of the episodes. The Lindsay and George episodes were not enjoyable (and they were right at the beginning to really derail any momentum the show had). I felt Buster was underutilized and I could have used some more Lucille. Moreover, I felt that my enjoyment was hurt by the fact that we went through the episodes so quickly. The episodes ended up being rather redundant because of all of the rehashing of stuff that we had already seen that same day. Lastly, they built the episodes up like it was leading to some great finale at the Cinco de Cuatro Festival, and what we got was a finale centered around a love triangle that I didn't care about. It's a shame that the finale was not a classic episode not focused on any particular character.

Anyway, with all that being said, the positives of this season definitely outweigh the negatives. The later episodes (aside from the finale) were very strong.  I guess that probably comes from the fact that so many jokes that were set up early on finally delivered by the end of the 15 episodes. George Michael's first episode and Maeby's episode were both standouts. I loved everything with Job.

I'm confident that I will like this season more a second time through as I catch some jokes I didn't catch at first. Also, I'll go through it at a more modest pace. I hate to sound so negative because I really did enjoy this season. I am confident that there is nothing on TV that is close to as funny as many episodes in this season. Okay, I'm done rambling.

3 comments:

  1. Here's the first in what is sure to be a lengthy list of "shit I missed the first time through." Sheridan pointed this out to me earlier today, but think of how many different birds showed up throughout the season, and not one of them a chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar sentiments to my post. What were everyone's favorite story lines so far? Mine is either involving Buster or Tobias. Got to love that giant hand (makes me think of season two when Buster first comes home after the accident and shows everyone his claw saying, "Let's all give me a big hand.") I also love that they got Maria Bamford involved (catch her standup comedy if you get the chance) as Tobais' brief love interest, Sue Storm (or whatever knock-off name they were using). Also, I think I finally get Mitch's reference to the Fantastic Four -- as in the fantastic final four seasons.

    Can't believe I missed the chicken references though, or lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, now I don't even need to post. I agree with everything you said except that first bit about us not being friends. That was a cheap shot man.

    ReplyDelete