March 20, 2010

Cat's Cradle

With a few books to start the month and then only one more post since, it has hardly been a stellar month of logging for me. But whatever, I've been busy, hopefully I can finish a few things rapid-fire to end the month and make up for my absence. Today after watching St. Mary's embarrass Villanova, I finished off one of Vonnegut's earlier novels, the highly-praised Cat's Cradle. In his later novel Palm Sunday Vonnegut gave this book an A-plus, so I had high expectations, and they were achieved. I'd rank it just behind Slaughterhouse Five and Bluebeard as one of my favorites. Cat's Cradle is an excellent satire of the arms race after the creation of the nuclear bomb- it tells the story of an author attempting to do some research on Felix Hoenniker- a fictional "father of the bomb," and is subsequently whisked away to a tropical island to find out about Hoenniker's most important discovery of all. I won't go into too many details, but I don't feel like it would spoil much to say that the book ends with the apocalypse. Cat's Cradle is loaded with thought-provoking moments and humor that are typical of all Vonnegut novels, so you know what you're going to get here. If you like Kurt Vonnegut, do yourself a favor and read Cat's Cradle.

No comments:

Post a Comment