March 27, 2010

Moulin Rouge

Since I started dating Steve, some of his habits have rubbed off on me and I now have the tendency to purchase movies merely die to their good prices. The difference between him and me is that I don't watch them. I would always prefer to catch half a movie on TV rather than commit a couple of hours to watch one on DVD. Despite being my favorite musical ever, Moulin Rouge was no exception. It sat unwatched until I finally forced Steve to watch it with me.

"Spectacular, Spectacular, No words in the vernacular!"

Let me just say, this move is great. As with Romeo and Juliet, Baz Luhrmann did a fabulous job. It is a great mix of plot and thoroughly entertaining songs. Unlike most musicals, I really like the majority of the songs, and even the ones I don't love aren't that bad. They are catchy and singable. They also include a lot of recent songs like "Like a Virgin" or "Roxanne." Also, Nicole Kidman is actually likeable in this movie. She and Ewan McGregor have great chemistry and sing well.

I love it! And I highly recommend it. (I only speak the truth!)

No comments:

Post a Comment