January 19, 2012

The Hunger Games



My January has mostly been spent rereading The Millennium Trilogy (aka The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc.) , but I told myself I would read the Hunger Games series when I was finished with those. Three people on the blog have read them. I'm sure 75% of middle schoolers have read them. And I know plenty of people my age comparing them to the HP series and the Millennium Trilogy. So ya know, I wanted to read them! I like reading!

They are what everyone else said they were. Page turning middle school level books. I started The Hunger Games, and I finished it four hours later. When I am enjoying a book, I have trouble putting it down. But this one really is a page turner because you want to know who's gonna die.

Spoiler Alerts!

Firstly, I didn't think the ending was completely predictable. Until the game changing announcement in the middle, I honestly thought the that either Peeta, Rue, or Katniss would live. I could see a scenario in which any of those happened. To tell you the truth though, I'm happy that both Peeta and Katniss lived. I think it would have been a shame to kill them both off. I understand it was predictable in that matter, but I don't generally like seeing characters I enjoy being killed off. The writing was simplistic, but hey, that's what made it such a simple quick read.

I really did enjoy it. I look forward to seeing the movie. I'm particularly excited to how much like flames they can make Peeta and Katniss look in the entrance ceremonies. But a lot of Cinna's charm is long gone knowing that he was cast as Lenny Kravitz.

Oh well! Good book! On to the second! Dreading the third!

3 comments:

  1. I can tell you really liked this book because you posted about it on the same day you finished reading it, rather than a month and a half from now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I may be wrong, but I think this is the first book/movie/game to be posted by four separate people on the blog. We had some Marissa/Sween/Trev combos on the Dark Tower series and several mass appeal video games (Halo, God of War, Uncharted, Super Mario Galaxy, Portal) ended up on here at least three times, but I can't remember any quadruple dipping before this book's fourth appearance here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright - now I'm genuinely interested for reasons that escape me. What's been triple-posted? So far, I've got:

    God of War - Keith/Sween/Stan
    Halo: Reach - Stan/Sween/Trevor
    Catching Fire - Webber/Stan/Trevor
    Slaughterhouse-Five - Stan/Webber/Marissa
    Cat's Cradle - Sween/Stan/Webber
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Webber/Marissa/Stan
    The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla - Sween/Marissa/Trevor
    The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah - Sween/Marissa/Trevor
    The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower - Marissa/Sween/Trevor
    Mad Men: Season 1 - Stan/Sween/Marissa
    Mad Men: Season 2 - Stan/Marissa/Sween
    Mad Men: Season 3 - Stan/Marissa/Sween
    Friday Night Lights: Season 4 - Marissa/Sween/Stan
    True Blood: Season 1 - Marissa/Trevor/Stan

    And of course, now The Hunger Games has been posted by Webber/Stan/Trevor/Marissa

    Can anyone think of anything else?

    ReplyDelete