March 29, 2010

Breaking Bad: Season 2


Now this is a great television series. If you aren't watching it yet, you're really missing out. AMC has come from nowhere and struck gold with both Breaking Bad and Mad Men recently, but in my opinion Breaking Bad is the superior show. Bryan Cranston (the dad form Malcolm in the Middle, which I still can't get over) stars as a working class father with terminal lung cancer. Given a few months to live, he decides to go for broke and begins cooking meth to make enough money to provide for his family when he's dead and gone. In a way, the premise isn't unlike that of Weeds, although comparing the two isn't even worth the time it'd take to go over every way in which Breaking Bad is superior. I'll say nothing more about the plot, because honestly, you really need to be watching this show. It's a tad slow-paced, but damn does that pace fit the show flawlessly. In short, it's nearly a perfect show, and Season 2 was better than the strike-shortened Season 1. Sadly, whoever was in charge of the DVD release made an all-too-common mistake and set the release date just days before Season 3's premiere. I never understood that - if you're looking for new viewers, get the DVDs out in time for them to watch and digest the older episodes. Mad Men, for example, doesn't resume until this summer, but its last season has already come out on DVD. I own it, I will watch, and when summer comes I will be more than ready for Season 4. Season 3 of Breaking Bad, however, is already two episodes underway. I'll find them online and catch up very quickly, but why was it necessary to rush me like this? Anyway, it doesn't matter; Breaking Bad is worth both the wait and the rush. And it's certainly worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment