March 12, 2014

Now You See Me

So I find magic in general to be one of the most stressful things to watch, but I guess that that's a bit of the intended effect. I remember thinking the ads for this movie looked pretty cool even if I thought the movie would be kinda dumb. I mean isn't a major part of the appeal of magic that you're actually seeing a real illusion right in front of you? How am I supposed to be impressed by the tricks in this movie when they can just be created with special effects in post-production? Still though it looked like this was going to be more of a caper movie with magic as a twist, and those are usually pretty fun to watch. And I guess Now You See Me was fun enough. Sure, some of the actors here are kinda phoning it in, and the big final twist was just a bit too much for me to approve of, but along the way there's plenty of clever ways to integrate magic into heists, and seemingly innocuous scenes of character development turn out to be integral to the plot. Consider it good enough to stop on if you find it on TV, but nothing you need to go out of your way for.

No comments:

Post a Comment