March 12, 2014

24: Season 1


Like everyone else, I saw the teaser for the new season of 24 that aired during the Super Bowl. At that point I had never seen the show aside from the pilot back when it first aired in 2001. (For whatever reason it never hooked me, and even all the hype that everyone seemed to have for it in high school and college still could not persuade me to tune in.) Well, just that one piece of footage of Bauer unloading his gun, screaming, while marching through a bomb-ravaged London looked intense. So I'm tuning in...

Finished the first season off in less than a week. It's pretty damn satisfying, but I'm not going to say this is amazing television. At least not something like Breaking Bad mostly because I wouldn't say it's particularly smart writing. It feels like an action movie mashed with soap opera-like drama topped off over-the-top acting -- lead by the cliche cop who plays by their own rules and can't be controlled (Bauer is really just another Riggs or McClane -- not that there's anything wrong with that!). Formulaic, cheesy plot twists, high dead body count; none-the-less, it's entertaining. 

There's also an endearing side for me with the fact that the show is so... Hollywood. It's another action movie taken from the streets of LA. From sky scrappers to oil derricks, the show features all of the wide and vast terrains that LA has to offer. They even made use of the iconic LA river channel that we've seen dozens of car chases in. LA action movies is something we used to see a lot of, but now I feel as though they're fairly rare. Even though this show is nearly 15 years old, it's still nice to see Hollywood being Hollywood. Guns, sunglasses, and stale acting. Got to love it. 

I will hopefully be able to burn through the rest of these seasons before the new one airs in a few months. Sheridan did explain things start to get a little boring around season six, so we'll see if I can keep the momentum going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment