March 7, 2014

JFK


Hahaha... Last I touched this one was back in November. Oh, sweet Jesus. What do I have to say about it?

Best editing I've ever seen in a movie. (Truly deserving of the Oscar it won in this category.)

Yeah, there's some good performances, music is by John Williams (so, of course, that's amazing -- another Oscar there, I believe), and -- in general -- I really enjoyed this movie. Though, it really does feel a bit more closer to a documentary than a piece of historical fiction. What I mean is not that I take Oliver Stone's account of the JFK assassination as truth, but that dramatic narrative begins to wear away after sometime and the film gradually begins to feel as though it's trying to educate me on these events rather than tell me the story about one D.A.'s struggle against the system in an effort to uncover the truth. (Not that it's boring or anything, just an idea that stuck me.)

I remember I went out to see this film (once again, back in November of 2013) during the 50th anniversary of JFK's assassination when it briefly reappeared in theaters. I'm glad I got the big-screen experience of this gem, but I highly encourage anyone to see this film regardless on what size screen it's being viewed on. 

I will say this, Oliver Stone makes some fairly bold claims in this movie. There have have always been many, many theories about who was truly "responsible" in pulling the trigger to the assassination, but Stone, more-or-less, takes a stance on the culprit. Some say it was the communists. Some say it was Oswald acting alone. Stone, his stance is that the American government (mainly Vice President Lyndon Johnson and the heads of the Pentagon) plotted to kill Kennedy so that they would be able to carry out their war against the Communists and Vietnam which would be extremely lucrative to the Military Industrial Complex. In the end, we still don't know what really happened and the film ends with our hero D.A. losing his case in court, but at least it places the idea in the audiences head to question everything in search of the truth. 

Can't wait to post another artist's theory on the JFK assassination, Stephen King's 11/22/63.

No comments:

Post a Comment