December 28, 2011

Happy Endings: Season 1


All year, I've been watching Modern Family on Wednesday nights at 9:00 on ABC. More accurately, I've been DVRing it. And the thing about ABC is that, for whatever reason, its shows run a minute or so ahead of their timeslots. So, all year, I've caught the first minute or so of what comes after Modern Family in my recording. And that show is Happy Endings. About two months ago, I decided I liked the assorted sneak peaks of the cold openings enough to actually check out a full episode. And I liked that full episode enough to watch every On Demand episode there was. And, yeah, you can see where this is going. Anyway, for Christmas I received the all-too-short 13-episode first season on DVD and I've already finished watching it. It's been called "the Friends clone that's funnier than Friends" and I think that's an apt description. No laugh track, no mockumentary gimmick - just a straight up stream of set-ups and jokes. In addition, you've got a gay guy, a black guy, and a plus-size girl (still beautiful and by no means "fat" - just, you know, "Hollywood heavy"). I mean, doesn't this just sound better than Friends? It is. Or at least it has the potential to be if it can last ten years. A long shot, yes, but so far I'm enjoying this show a great deal. Or at least more than I'm enjoying Modern Family. Besides, if nothing else, it's nice to see Elisha Cuthbert doing something with her post-24 career.

1 comment: