December 6, 2011

Cars 2

Sween... finally got what you were hinting at on gchat today. Yes, I did forget I had started a post quite some time ago and just never got around to finishing it. But all of that ends.... TONIGHT!


So, Cars 2. With entertainment juggernaut that is Pixar, you really would have hoped for something better here. I've got to admit, I never truly wanted to see this movie (I think I started it on a plane or something?), but I felt obligated in someway to Pixar. They've just performed so remarkably in the past I didn't think it was possible for them to come out with a shitty flick... but they did.

Alright, it wasn't that bad. It definitely rises above a Michael Bay abortion or The Smurfs (it's sad to think I work at a company responsible for that), but not by much. The fact is that all of Pixar's movies are, in essence, movies for children; however, this was the first film by them I felt only a kid could enjoy. Never-the-less, I watched it for the sake of the blog.

This film still has Owen Wilson and Daniel Lawrence Whitney (I'm not going to try and remember the character names... I know there's IMDB, but I'm too damn lazy!) palling around as the odd friendship between a racing car and a hick tow truck. The racing car is about compete in this worldwide racing circuit and brings his socially-inept friend along for the ride. It doesn't take long for the truck embarrasses him and is banished from the racing crew. While on route home, the truck is mistaken as a secret agent (after being given some special package) and begins a mission following a group of Lemons' (shitty cars) plot to sabotage the racing circuit. I won't bore you with the rest of the details. I'm sure you can fill in the blanks from here on out.

Now, it's not that the plot is bad or anything. In fact, most of Pixar's movies have very simple story lines, which is usually looked upon favorably. This movie just fails to have the same charm and splendor that I've received from the others. Instead I just noticed a lot more bathroom jokes - literally (tow truck gets locked in a Japanese bathroom stall and cant figure out the computer controls for the toilet... haaaaalarious). Maybe I'm just being pessimistic - which is totally possible - but this film bored the Hell out of me. The one shimmering gem to this masterpiece was Bruce Campbell, who plays an American agent that gets wiped out within 10 minutes of meeting him. Sad, but a fitting Bruce role.

All-in-all, this movie is totally worth the 10 minutes of Bruce Campbell (voiceover) time it serves. Actually, if you want really satisfying Bruce Campbell voiceover work check out Sunny with a Chance of Meatballs (actually, do that... movie's hysterical) or any of the Spiderman video games. You can't go wrong with BC.


No comments:

Post a Comment