December 11, 2011

American Gods


The talent of Neil Gaiman is something I never underestimate. Having written one of my favorite graphic novel series, The Sandman, one of my favorite animated movies, Coraline, even of my favorite episodes of Dr Who and that is why I was surprised when I had trouble reading what is often regarded as Gaiman's best work American Gods. Imagine that all the gods you ever learned about were real. This is the world that the main character, Shadow,finds himself in. God's of old clash with the gods of new. The gods are presented in a very real and very human way, more like Harry Potter and less like Percy Jackson.

This book was a very hard read for me. I started it in high school and have started it at least 4 more times since then. Even this most recent attempt, and ultimate success, was plagues by constant start and stops. I read this book in small chunks over the last 5 months. Now that I have completed it I am surprised it took me so long to complete. Overall it was a great book but it starts out very slowly and culminates very thoroughly. It took a long time for Gaiman to introduce all the puzzle pieces and ultimately bring them all together in the end in a way that make sense.

2 comments:

  1. This is going to become the next big series from HBO. Tom Hanks is producing. Is there enough content that you think it'll lend itself well to a series or miniseries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is enough mythology for sure, in my opinion. The imagery would be amazing as a miniseries. The idea that we bring our gods with us wherever we go, leaving them to linger when no one worships them anymore. There is a great off mention of Jesus hitchhiking in the Middle East.

    ReplyDelete