January 22, 2012

Mockingjay

SO! Third book! I finished both Catching Fire and Mockingjay yesterday. All of these books are quick quick reads. There will probably be some SPOILERS! so don't read on if you don't wanna know. Anyway, this book follows Catnip and the gang in their rebellion against the Capitol. Because you know it's always smart to have teenagers lead your battles. In all honestly though, I heard this book was awful, but I didn't think it was. I even think I prefer it to the second book. At least it is a new plot line. The pacing of the book wasn't the best, but I thought it was interesting. Having to get all the districts on the rebels side, Katniss trying to figure out how to be the "mockingjay", peeta being brainwashed. There were some fun to read about plot lines. The end though was not the best. I understand Prim has grown into a woman and Catnip doesn't spend all of her time protecting her, but having her die so pointlessly seems stupid. Catnip kills the rebel president which is justified but random. Also, the whole love triangle is completely negated because one of the guys just leaves with no goodbye or conversation. It was just a sloppy ending for a book that could have ended with a pretty dramatic finish.

So I liked the beginning and the middle. Didn't love the end. 'Nuff said.

2 comments:

  1. See, you listed all the reasons I hated this book. Sloppy pacing, pointless melodrama, an uninteresting and poorly resolved love triangle, and the Red Dawn-esque absurdity of having teenagers be the primary fighting force in a war. Yet it seems you did not hate this book. I guess I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you stole my "nuff said" line. I know I didn't coin it but c'mon man.

    ReplyDelete