January 25, 2012

Fight Club

Have you seen Fight Club? Guess what- you've also already read Fight Club! Seriously, this might be a great book, but I'll never know because the movie and the book are almost exactly the same and it's impossible for me to judge. There's also haikus and Marla Singer's family, neither of which felt like they added much to the story at all. Fight Club the movie to me always felt like its parts were greater than its sum- it's full of great moments and an unforgettable twist, but whatever the message was got completely muddled because it seems to make such a strong argument against itself. And the exact same can be said here. The message, the twist, the scenes, all those snappy lines from the movie, it's almost entirely lifted directly from the book, so unless you're a hardcore Fight Club fan (and if you are, you've probably already read the book) there's really zero reason to read Fight Club.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Alright then. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

    I was actually just thinking about Fight Club (the movie) the other day, and how it could never ever possibly get made post-9/11. Terrorism stemming from a sense of boredom and a need to feel alive/masculine? Yeah, that concept doesn't fly anymore for the American masses. In my Magnolia review I went off on a bit of a tangent about the key differences between films today and films from the late '90s, and I must have brought Fight Club up as a prime example. A guy slowly starts to reject his superficial materialistic life, developing a split personality in the process, and starting a cult-like organization of guys like him? Sounds to me like he's at the very top of the hierarchy of needs. You know, now I kind of want to watch the movie again just to see how well it holds up thirteen years later.

    ReplyDelete