January 14, 2012

The Office: Season 7


It's no secret that The Office simply ain't as good as it once was. That said, I was surprised - pleasantly - when I re-watched Season 7 over the past week or so. There were some missteps made in Steve Carell's final season, to be sure. Notably, why bring Will Ferrell in for a four-episode arc during which we'd be saying goodbye to Carell's Michael Scott? Ferrell's character had a personality and presence that varied from episode to episode, and although the guy is a very funny individual, he kind of served as a distraction by showing up when he did. Still, all in all this was a season comprised of funny episodes, each of which contained several funny moments. So what if The Office isn't the funniest show on TV anymore? Even after seven years, the Carell-led show was a very consistent source of humor. I'd definitely say that Season 7 was better than the shaky and formless Season 6, which marks the first time since Season 2 that The Office has had a better year than the one preceding it. Of course, the show is currently on its eighth season, and first without Carell. I watched the first half of the current season and unfortunately I can't say his absence isn't felt. When I first learned Carell was leaving after seven seasons, I got excited and thought about the potential a Scott-less Office would have, and wondered how they'd dare to mix things up. The thing is, they haven't mixed things up. Simply replacing Carell with Ed Helms (promoting from within) and using James Spader as a quirky wild card CEO character doesn't quite do it for me, especially since it almost feels like the show is still writing stories intended to have Michael Scott at the center. A post-Carell Office could have worked well while showcasing the talents of the deep ensemble cast they've accrued. Instead, I've seen The Office get content enough to live out its stretch as a generic workplace comedy. There's nothing wrong with that, and the show has certainly "earned" this graceful fade into mediocrity, but as a former fan I still find myself wishing for something more. Oh well! I watch plenty of shit worse than this show.

1 comment:

  1. I'm actually starting to enjoy the eighth season. It started out with a rocky start, but the last couple of episodes have been good. My favorite episodes have been the ones that are not centered around Andy. He can be involved, but the story is not all about him. I thought Mrs. California, Christmas Wishes, and the most recent show, Trivia were all strong shows; at least as strong as the best episodes from the last two or three seasons.

    ReplyDelete