September 20, 2013

The Sopranos: Season Three


Season 3 of The Sopranos is probably the worst one I've seen, but that's not really all that bad. I talked to Stan about it, and he told me apparently there was this pretty cool plan for the season where Tony teamed up with his mother against Uncle Junior for a season-long arc, but when her actress died suddenly in the middle of filming, they had to ditch that plotline completely, and never seemed to recover its momentum. This is fine, Sopranos isn't a show that needs heavy serialization to work, but it seemed to make season three feel a bit weaker than the first two. Honestly I finished this about two weeks ago and I've already forgotten significant chunks of the season finale, whereas season two's finale still feels completely clear to me. Oh well! I'll probably remember this season for a few things: the kids' arcs- Meadow growing to hate her father, while Anthony Junior seems to grow more and more like him; Tony and his complete psycho of a new girlfriend; and Christopher and Paulie wandering around lost in the winter woods of New Jersey. Oh yeah Meadow had a boyfriend Jackie Jr, who is an idiot and has a pretty boring father figure in Ralph who never got all that interesting to me. Still though, the season was consistently entertaining, so hopefully it rebounds to "excellent" again come season four.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I forgot that this was the season where Paulie and Christopher got lost in the woods. That was probably the greatest stand-alone episode in the entire series. Season 4 is shaky too, but has a fantastic finale. And then from 5 on out it's very much in "greatest show ever" territory. My opinion, anyway.

    ReplyDelete