September 22, 2013

Kick-Ass


I didn't know much about this one heading in, aside from that it was a movie about some regular kids who decide to dress up like superheroes and end up in way over their heads. I didn't even know Nic Cage was in it, let alone that he stole the show. (Though, that latter part is no surprise.) I figured this was just one more recent movie in an ongoing string of superhero comic book adaptations.

And it is, really. But it was also surprisingly entertaining and brutally violent. I guess I'm so used to the "PG-13" status quo on superhero movies that seeing blood spatters and limbs flying felt delightfully fresh for me. That so much of the carnage came at the hands of an eleven-year-old girl was a bonus toward the element of surprise I experienced while watching this movie. Ultimately I guess this is nothing special, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to watch, which is more than I can say about so many other cookie cutter comic book action movies these days. I'm interested enough in the sequel to check it out eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment