September 10, 2013

Weeds: Season 7


My history with Weeds is long and complicated. I bought the first few seasons on DVD based on popular acclaim and was not disappointed. Then the show spent Seasons 3 through 5 kind of slowly losing sight of what it was and also what it wanted to be. And then for some reason, Season 6 just sat so right with me, in ways I still can't quite explain. Unfortunately, I lost interest in Season 7 almost instantly, and none of its silly plots or story arcs compelled me to keep watching. When the season ended on a horribly forced and stupid cliffhanger - think Downton Abbey: Season 3 "out of the blue" bad here - I swore it off entirely. But then the eighth season turned out to be the show's last, and once it got cheap enough on Amazon I took the curiosity-based plunge. I also gave Season 7 a re-watch, just to  get myself back up to speed.

I didn't hate it! In fact, I didn't even dislike it. There's something to be said about watching a mediocre show in marathon sessions on DVD compared to one half hour at a time once a week regardless of interest levels. I definitely just gave up on paying attention to the show last year, forgetting why certain characters were in certain predicaments from week to week. Now, plenty of this fault falls on Season 7. It was sloppy, uncoordinated, unfunny, and undramatic. There was simply no compelling reason to keep watching it week in and week out. Marathoning through it in three nights was a much better experience, and I kind of look forward to doing so with Season 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment