November 30, 2012

Breaking Bad: Season 2



Wow, it's been a while since my last post on season one. Possibly over a year ago? Anyways, when I finally got back into this show, I was now watching it with Kelsi, which meant I had to restart the whole thing from the beginning. Normally, this would be a pain, but... fuck it. This show is great with Walter White possibly being the most fascinating/complex character on television - or maybe out of any medium for that matter. It was a blast working my way back from the series pilot to the end of season two. Hopefully I won't lose my stride and can keep powering through. (No promises.)

As for how season two shaped up, no complaints; all praises. Walt and Jesse's empire is expanding, which, of couse, has its inherent challenges. You've got the Walt's double-lives, Hank tip-toeing around Walt's operation, and a baby's on the way. Then working with an onslaught of new characters to mix things up (Odenkirk as Saul the lawyer or Gus, the druglord-fastfood operator) gives the show is complexity and thrilling suspense I've come to be addicted to. I think the best episode of the season is (forgive me, but I forget the episode name - nor do I care to look it up) the one where Walt and Jesse go on their big meth cooking trip and get stranded in the middle-of-nowhere. Not only was chalked full of suspense, but you get one of those rare moments where Walt uses his wits to get out of a jam - got to say, I wish you saw more of Walt's genius shine through; it's one of his last admiral qualities. Being the controversial character he is - an anti-hero, if you will - I cherish the moments where I can actually like him. But that quickly gets trumped by the time Walt continues on with his lies upon lies upon lies. 

I feel as though most everyone but me is up to date on this show, so spoilers shouldn't be a problem. The ending to the season is crazy. Skyler has left Walt. Jesse's in complete depression after that Don't Trust the B--- girl bites the dust. (Oh, I also have to agree with the praise Stan mentioned in my season one post for Aaron Paul's performance as Jesse this season. Outstanding.) Basically, the whole show is left in such disarray that I cannot even begin to imagine where the show could be headed in the third season. 

Only one way to figure that out...

3 comments:

  1. NOWHERE GOOD, is where things are heading. NOWHERE GOOD.

    But yeah, this is fantastic fucking television right here. WHat did you think of the pink teddy bear floating in the pool and what it led to? On a similar note, what did you think of the season's conclusion? In one of my favorite television production easter eggs of all time, the four episodes that begin with said bear floating in the pool are called "727," "Down," "Over," and "ABQ." Holy shit! They told us what was coming and still we had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bit of trivia right there did just blow my mind... but that ending, in itself, wasn't such a mind-blower. I'm not sure why? For one, watching the show this late in the game, I know full well that those body bags that were shown would not include characters of any importance. I suppose seeing the wide scope of ramifications to Don't Trust the B---'s death (mainly Walt's fault) is interesting. A bit of a butterfly effect. Still, it didn't stand out as something monumentally brilliant. More of a, "well... that a was a bit unexpected." Still, this could be something continually developed upon in the coming season(s). Just have to wait and see.

    As for you alluding that "NOTHING GOOD" is going to happen does get me excited. Seeing Walt descend further into the role of a villain should be something worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess revealing what doesn't happen is far less of a spoiler than revealing what does, so I'll feel comfortable enough here to tell you that not much comes from the plane crash. There are some great character moments as you see various reactions to the crash - what certain people are most concerned about and such - but the crash goes largely forgotten very shortly into Season 3. Some fans complain in hindsight that the whole thing was an uncharacteristically blatant metaphor on behalf of the writers - "the sky is falling all around Walt!" - but I still dig it all the same.

    Anyway, get ready to be blown away by Season 3. I enjoyed Season 1 a good deal, and Season 2 allowed this show to take the leap into "elite drama" territory, but it was Season 3 that just blew me the hell away. Seasons 4 and 5A were no worse, by any means, but Season 3 pretty much takes you to the incredibly high level the show has remained at ever since. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete