February 2, 2011

Doritos Crash Course


When my girlfriend and I decided to move in together, we agreed that we should take her Xbox 360 (120 GB) instead of mine (12 GB). Because Xbox allows you to re-download previously purchased games and content, we knew it'd be easy enough for me to recover all of my old Xbox Live Arcade games and DLC. And it has been, so far, except for one small issue. Dash of Destruction, an XBLA game I downloaded for free and beat at least two years ago, has been taken down from the Xbox Live marketplace. In other words, is is essentially and totally irrecoverable. The same is true for the two or three WiiWare games I've previously downloaded since we're also using my girlfriend's Wii. (Mine belongs to my sisters in addition to myself, and although they never really play it, it's been easy enough to just take Marissa's.) Anyway, since these digitally downloaded games are no longer actually in my possession, I once again worry about the natural discrepancy that will arise in the near future between the concept of "ownership" and the next big format change for movies, books, and games alike (which are all clearly heading in a digital direction). Perhaps my affection (some would call it an obsession) for "owning" a collection of books, movies, and games - rather than renting or borrowing - will be forced into oblivion by changing times. So it goes. But then, by truly mastering my backlog and experiencing everything that these games, movies, and books have to offer, I'm only enhancing my own "mental" collection, so to speak; digitally downloaded or not, the content in the items in my backlog is what I'm striving to absorb. Anyway, I'm certainly rambling and lamenting now, and I'll get on to my point. The silver lining of my search for Dash of Destruction is that I found another free game courtesy of Doritos in Doritos Crash Course. (Actually, I found and downloaded yet another free Doritos game, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.) Crash Course is basically just Wipeout (or MXC) turned into a video game. It's a time trial based platformer that could theoretically be completed in half an hour but took me more like ninety minutes. Easy, clean, and simple. I recommend it to anyone with an Xbox, mostly because it's free but also because, frankly, it's pretty enjoyably absurd.

No comments:

Post a Comment