April 15, 2013

The Wire: Season Two

I was prepared for The Wire's second season to be even more underwhelming than its first, and for the most part it was. No one seemed to like this season, and really from the first episode I just couldn't latch on to any storyline of dockworkers and drug smuggling and enjoy it for a while. Again, the series had realism, but people turn to tv for escapism, and there was nothing all that interesting here, aside from a few brief scenes catching up with the drug dealers of season one. Talking with Stan, he seemed to remember those being the best scenes of the season by far, which had me thinking that I probably didn't need to pay any more attention to most of season two. Just get through it and reap the benefits when season three comes! Fortunately the benefits came a little early as the last three episodes of this season flipped a switch and the show finally became compelling television! Suddenly I was invested in the fates of the Sobotka family and whether the police would be able to put The Greek behind bars for his crimes. I'll put the series on hold for a little while as there's just so much out there to watch, but I'm excited to see what happens when The Wire really gets good.

No comments:

Post a Comment