February 28, 2011

Super Mario Bros.




What is there to say about a game that is the icon of the whole culture? Only one thing. Unbeatable.

Oh I killed Bower. It took me three months and endless ridicule from people, but Bowers died in a fire pit of hell. I mean unbeatable in the fact that no game, in no genre, on no platform, has ever came close to me to the perfect video game like Super Mario Bros.

I did have a lot of trouble with this game. It could be contributed to a lot of facts: I like save points. I like turtles. And I fear falling to my death. But the real reason the game took longer than it should was confidence. Confidence in your jumps is the main thing that will help you conquer the game. From a single hop to conquering a Hammer Bros., you need to be 100% sure that you're going to make the right decision, because a moment's hesitation will throw you off the game's internal pattern (an invention of the creator and composer.)

All I can say is that Super Mario Bros. is the only game that gave me a full enjoyment no matter what happened to Mario or his brother. Live, die or win, Super Mario Bros. entertains with no fail.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. Although it's outdated as fuck, this is still a great game and an icon to boot. I'm still surprised it took you months to beat Bowser (who was then simply "King Koopa," of course), but perhaps you were just taking all kinds of time intentionally soaking it in.

    Also, I'm sure you've seen it already, but I can't help but be reminded of this clip by your separate discussions on jumping confidence and frustration:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in6RZzdGki8

    ReplyDelete